Re: st: I can not open bank in state.

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: I can not open bank in state.
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:10:30 -0400

Dear Carmen,

First, if you are using Stata 7 or 8, you will not be able to open
your dataset in whole. This is because there was no 64-bit version of
Stata 7 or Stata 8, and 32-bit versions are limited to 2G in theory
and to about 1.5G in practice.

Second, Stata 7 or 8 is not able to allocate 5G of memory. What you
see is a overflow error, which truncates large values to smaller ones
by loosing the highest significant bits.

I don't have Stata 8, but in Stata 9 here is what happens:

. set mem 5G
value too large
r(912);

. set mem 3G
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 4G
value too small
r(910);

. set mem 1100M

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.733M
    set memory         1100M    max. data space              1,100.000M
    set matsize         400     max. RHS vars in models          1.254M
                                                            -----------
                                                             1,102.987M

Obviously, 1.1G is smaller than 4G, which was reported by Stata as a
"too small" of a value. Which means that the overflow occurs somewhere
about 4G (remember that 2^32 B = 4 GB). Hence the message is similar

. set mem 1k
value too small
r(910);

The same problem is present in Stata 10 32-bit, and the error message
is simply confusing:

. set mem 4g
value too small
r(910);

Perhaps a more informative error message would help in this case.

If you want to use your data, use the Stata's recommendation:
1. select only the variables you need for your analysis.
2. select only the observations you need for your analysis.
3. if you need to work with such large datasets, you must switch to a
64-bit version.

As for the "set mem 50G" I can only cheer your optimizm!! Not even
every 64-bit OS will support that much. E.g. Vista Home Basic 64
supports up to 8GB, and Vista Home Premium 64 supports up to 16 GB of
memory. Stata will not be able to request more than that. For other
limits, see this page:

Best regards,
  Sergiy Radyakin