st: How to achieve invisible bars in -graph bar-?

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to achieve invisible bars in -graph bar-?
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:06:45 +0100

Dear all,

I am trying to achieve invisible bars in a -graph bar- chart. The idea
is to show only the labels and not the bars themselves; all of this is
part of my effort to add more information to a -graph bar- chart than
Stata allows by default.

However, I fail to render the bars invisible. After reading the help
on barlook options, I concluded that the following should work:

sysuse auto
graph bar (mean) length turn, over(foreign)  bar(1, bstyle(none) )

In Stata 9.2 and Stata 10, this still gives me the outline of the
bars. No matter which combination of -bstyle-, -color-, -fcolor-,
-lwidth-, -lcolor-, and -lstyle- I choose, I always end up with an
outline around the bars.

I find that confusing, since -help areastyle- notes for the style
-none-: "no outline and no background color".

Is there some way to omit the bars and only print the labels?

Thanks,
Eva