st: RE: Triprobit & mvprobit errors (trivariate probit model)

From   "Tiffany Davenport" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Triprobit & mvprobit errors (trivariate probit model)
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:36:47 -0400

Dear Stephen,

Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate your help.

The sample size is 811. I specified the attempt at 50 because I received a
particular error at that point; I understood that the number of draws should
at least exceed the square root of the sample size (SJ 3(3)) but I have
tried larger values of R as well.  At 600 draws, I stopped the analysis
after hundreds of lines of "Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho
matrix." See syntax and output below.  I have also tried up to 3,400 draws
at which point nothing happened (no errors, no output) for 4 hours, and,
unfortunately, I could not leave the program running on this particular
occasion, so this may have been an issue of computing capacity. I am making
arrangements to run the larger number of draws on a different machine.  With
the -difficult- command, I receive the same ""Warning: cannot do Cholesky
factorization of rho matrix" and error 430 (syntax and output below).  I
will try some of the options for speeding up the computing time, reconsider
my specification, progressively increase the number of draws from a smaller
number upward, vary the technique, and look at your article in SJ 6(2) per
your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Tiffany
(Output is below for your reference.)

50 draws:

. mvprobit (outcome= treatmentAcontact treatmentBcontact  g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2
stratum1) (treatmentAcontact= treatmentA g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1)
(treatmentBcontact= treatmentB g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1), cl(randunit)
dr(50)

Iteration 0:   log pseudolikelihood = -1061.8256  (not concave)
Iteration 1:   log pseudolikelihood = -754.05787  (not concave)
Iteration 2:   log pseudolikelihood = -672.60545  (not concave)
Iteration 3:   log pseudolikelihood = -574.53911  (not concave)
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix

 [.~80 lines of this warning.]

Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
could not calculate numerical derivatives
flat or discontinuous region encountered
r(430);

600 draws:

. mvprobit (outcome= treatmentAcontact treatmentBcontact  g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2
stratum1) (treatmentAcontact= treatmentA g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1)
(treatmentBcontact= treatmentB g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1), cl (randunit)
dr(600)

Iteration 0:   log pseudolikelihood = -1061.8256  (not concave)
Iteration 1:   log pseudolikelihood =  -789.7645  (not concave)
Iteration 2:   log pseudolikelihood = -681.91457  (not concave)
Iteration 3:   log pseudolikelihood = -647.73038  (not concave)
Iteration 4:   log pseudolikelihood = -641.21325  (not concave)
Iteration 5:   log pseudolikelihood = -611.87758  (not concave)
Iteration 6:   log pseudolikelihood = -591.63921  (not concave)
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix

[.~90 lines of this warning.]

Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
numerical derivatives are approximate
flat or discontinuous region encountered
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix

[.~80 lines of this warning.]

Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
--Break--
r(1);

200 draws -difficult-:

. mvprobit (outcome= treatmentAcontact treatmentBcontact  g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2
stratum1) (treatmentAcontact= treatmentA g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1)
(treatmentBcontact= treatmentB g6 p6 g4 p4 g2 p2 stratum1), cl (randunit)
dr(200) difficult

Iteration 0:   log pseudolikelihood = -1061.8256  (not concave)
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix
Warning: cannot do Cholesky factorization of rho matrix

[.~70 lines of this warning.]