st: Re: error message in survwgt rake

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   Shawn DuBravac <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: error message in survwgt rake
Date   Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:10:15 -0500

Shawn, Please send future communications to Statalist. Questions like yours may be of interest to others--and others may provide better answers than I can.

In the file "survwgt.ado" there is a "MAXRep(int XXXXX)" setting, where "XXXX" is an integer. You can try increasing the default value.

However in my experience, raking fails to converge when when there are too many adjustment cells, when the sample or population numbers in some cells are small, or when different margins are inconsistent. As an example of inconsistency: an age-gender margin and an age-race margin yield different counts for the age-only dimension. See the reference: http://www.abtassociates.com/presentations/ raking_survey_data_2_JOS.pdf.

-Steve