Re: st: tabulation of means, by group

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tabulation of means, by group
Date   Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:34:20 -0700

Thanks Svend.
The column headers are just what I need! However, I apologize I submitted my table query with only one row for simplicity. How would your approach be modified to have multiple rows? In my example below, I've added variables sex and race (black/white). So I'd like to have
row 1: mean
row 2: % female in each column
row 3: % black in each column
Many thanks...

Michael McCulloch wrote:

In the following simulated data, I'd like to create a table of mean age (row header) for:
each of 3 income levels (with income level the column sub-header)
within each of 2 groups (with group the column main header)
So that:
from left to right in the data area would groups 1, 2, and 3,
within each group, from left to right would be income categories
And in each cell the mean age.

Here are the data I've created:
clear
set obs 100
set seed 12358
gen age =30 + int(20*uniform())
format age %2.0f
gen income =1 + int(3*uniform())
gen group =1 + int(2*uniform())

It seems that you want a table with one row. The -table-
command interprets the first variable as the row variable,
so generating a variable with one value will do the trick.
That variable may even be a string variable:

generate str meanage = "Mean age"
table meanage group income , contents(mean age)

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6