st: Statistical advice about multiple comparison...

From   Yupa <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Statistical advice about multiple comparison...
Date   Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:04:14 +0200

Dear statalisters,

I have 9 test items and each item is scored ordinally 1 to 4 points
(distance between points isn't equal).
The test is administered to two populations; in the first population
each item is taken two times for each subject (at different ages). The
second population served as reference.
Some of the test items show a ceiling effect (aren't able to
discriminate at high end of the scale, and lower scores are not
I have to compare the results of each item between the two timepoints of
the first population and between each timepoint of the first population
versus the reference population.
I think that an equality test for matched data is adequate for the first
comparison (signrank) and an equality test for unmatched data (ranksum)
for the second.
Am I right or am I missing something?
May I analyze the data in a different way (different tests)?

Thanks in advance!