RE: st: RE: cragg-donal test for weak instruments with heteroskedasticity

Subject   RE: st: RE: cragg-donal test for weak instruments with heteroskedasticity
Date   Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:31:42 +0100

Sara,

Not quite.  Either you compare the K-P statistic (which is heteroskedasticity robust) to the Stock-Yogo (not Staiger-Stock) tabulated values for the C-D statistic, as you suggest, or you compare K-P to the the Staiger-Stock value of 10.

Separate first-stage regressions do not provide an adequate test of identification - see Baum et al (2003) for an explanation (full reference details in -ivreg2- help).

A third possibility is to test for heteroskedasticity (see -ivhettest-) and hope you don't have it.  If you don't, then you can use the C-D stat with S-Y critical values.

> Since both options are not going to give me the "perfect"
> answer, I wanted to do it in both ways, and see what happens,
> but after installing ivreg2 and ranktest, I am not able to
> get the first stage K-P statistics or the cragg donald
> statistics. After running
> ivreg2 y x (y1 y2=z1 z2), ffirst robust
> Stata reports only the first stage F (which is not even
> robust) and the shea statistics, nothing more.
> Is it possible that this happens because I do not have the
> appropriate stata version to obtain K-P or Cragg Donald? I am
> currently using Stata 8. I have also access to Stata 10, but
> there ivreg2 does not work, and it seems that K-P is a
> special feature of ivreg2 and not of ivregress. Is this what
> is going on?

Not quite.  -ivreg2- certainly runs under Stata 10, but you need to make sure you install the latest version, and also -ranktest- (which is the command that calculates the K-P statistic).  You are right that the K-P statistic is not supported by official Stata -ivregress-.

-ranktest- requires Stata 9 or better, which is why your Stata 8 version won't report the K-P statistic.

Cheers,
Mark