st: replace an element in a matrix in stata

From   "Xu, Jun" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: replace an element in a matrix in stata
Date   Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:28:12 -0400

dear stata listers,

i have a question about matrix functions in stata. if i have a matrix like
a = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
and I want to replace the third element 3 with another number, let's say 7 and turn a into 1, 2, 7, 4, 5, 6. Is there a function in stata that can help me achieve that. the problem here is i only know the dimension of the incoming matrix a, but i don't know what's exactly in a, a generic matrix. but i know what's to replace. if i knew a's contents, i would use some quasi identity matrix. any suggestions? thanks!

jun xu, phd
assistant professor
department of sociology
ball state university