Re: st: Code

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Code
Date   Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:05:23 -0400

this will take care of multiple incomes of the same value

***************************** start of poverty.ado ************************

*! program to calculate mean income around a given poverty level
*! syntax:  poverty incomeVar povertyLevel window
*! example: poverty gdppc 12000 500

program define poverty, sortpreserve
	version 9.2
	args inc inclev n

	/*
		inc = income variable
		inclev = poverty level (number)
		n = window (how many incomes above and below poverty level to include)
	*/

	tempvar diff match id

	sort `inc'
	gen `id' = _n
	gen byte `match' = 0
	gen `diff' = abs(`inc' - `inclev')
	qui summ `diff'
	qui replace `match' = 1 if `diff' == r(min)

	qui count if `match'==1
	if r(N) > 1 {
		di
		di as res "Note: More than one income matches the poverty level of `inclev'"
	}

	qui summ `id' if `match' == 1
	local min = r(min)
	local max = r(max)

	if (`min' - `n' <= 0) | (`max' + `n' > _N) {
		di as err "There are not enough observations around the poverty level"
		exit
	}

	di
	di as res "Summary of income for households above and below the
poverty level of `inclev'"
	summ `inc' if (_n >= `min' - `n') & (_n <= `max' + `n')

end
exit