RE: st: IV with missing values

Subject   RE: st: IV with missing values
Date   Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:48:15 +0100

Stas, Sara,

I'm not as pessimistic as Stas in principle, though maybe I am in
practice.

What Sara wants to do is similar to the "Split Sample Instrumental
Variables" (SSIV) estimator proposed by Angrist and Krueger; see

http://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberte/0150.html

In this estimator, the sample is split randomly, one half is used to
estimate the first stage  parameters, and then these estimated
parameters and the other half of the sample are used to get the
parameters from the main model.  This estimator is biased but A-K also
proposed an unbiased version.

Inoue and Solon have a paper on this as well:

http://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberte/0311.html

and they discuss TSIV as a GMM estimator, TSLIML (two sample LIML), and
various other things.

My reason for being pessimistic is that this looks like a lot more work
than I suspect Sara was hoping for!  Possibly not worth the investment.

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
http://ideas.repec.org/e/psc51.html

registered under charity number SC000278.