Re: st: Display ValuesLabels and NumericCodes in Tabulate Tables

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Display ValuesLabels and NumericCodes in Tabulate Tables
Date   Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:35:22 -0400

Hello, Mr Yawo,

The version of tabl as located under the URL provided by Mr Williams
does not work as supposed. As is, it produces the same output as the
tab command.

. net install tabl, from(http://www.fss.uu.nl/soc/iscore/stata) replace
checking tabl consistency and verifying not already installed...
installing into c:\ado\plus\...
installation complete.

. tabl foreign

   Car type |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
   Domestic |         52       70.27       70.27
    Foreign |         22       29.73      100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
      Total |         74      100.00

This was mentioned earlier:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-03/msg00587.html

(Downloading today, the received file is 3766 bytes small, version
1.2.0, recorded date 07apr2000 by Jeroen Weesie/ICS)

The reason it fails, is a missing "{" in the Tabl procedure

if "`missing'" == ""
  local missing missing
}

Once this is fixed, the program still does not work.The next trouble
is that touse is created in tabl, but Tabl knows nothing about the
locals in tabl. Tentatively adding another marksample touse, novarlist
to the Tabl procedure helps. After that one can at least see the
values and labels and frequencies, but I am still getting no header of
the table.

Overall the program looks like half-cooked. There is a local -compact-
there which is checked, but never set, etc.

I wonder if there is a working version floating around anywhere?

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin