Re: st: drop variable on condition

From   Andrea Bennett <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: drop variable on condition
Date   Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:02:28 +0200

Ah, thank you very much!

Kind regards!

On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Joseph Coveney wrote:

Andrea Bennett wrote:

A quick question related to dropping variables: I would like to drop a
variable when a certain condition is met (I'm using loops to check
whether a variable is not empty for each year of observation). AFAIK, -
drop- and -keep- only refer to observations if being used
conditionally, e.g. I cannot use "drop THISVAR if mean_THISVAR<1".

So, how can I drop a variable when a certain condition is met?

You can easily do both. The do-file below illustrates dropping a variable
(for each year of observations) has any missing values. And later it drops
it if its mean is greatern than one.

Joseph Coveney

clear *
set seed `=date("2008-07-21", "YMD")'
set obs 200
forvalues i = 1/10 {
generate double year`i' = uniform()
if mod(`i', 2) replace year`i' = . if uniform() > 0.99
}
replace year10 = 5 * year10
*
* Begin here
*
foreach var of varlist year* {
capture assert !missing(`var')
if _rc {
display in smcl as text "variable {result}`var' " _continue
display in smcl as text "contains missing values"
drop `var'
continue
}
summarize `var', meanonly
if r(mean) > 1 {
display in smcl as text "variable {result}`var'" _continue
display in smcl as text "'s mean is greater than one"
drop `var'
}
}
exit