RE: RE : Heteroskedasticity and fixed effects (was: st: RE: Re: Weak instruments)

Subject   RE: RE : Heteroskedasticity and fixed effects (was: st: RE: Re: Weak instruments)
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:38:43 +0100

Jay,

Quite true - that wass one of the reasons for the "if".  I should have
said "IF".

Another reason is that giving up on modelling the heteroskedasticity may
be giving up too early.  If FGLS really is feasible, then just using
robust standard errors is not costless - you're paying a price in terms
of the efficiency gains possible with FGLS.  (Which is why I don't
entirely agree with the Stock & Watson quote that Patrick posted.)

> I generally think robust VCE is a good thing to have, mind
> you, but something that should not be blindly applied to
> cover up a crappy, misspecified model.

Indeed!

--Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.