Re: st: Is there a kind of stochasticity in the execution of xthtaylor?

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
To   Stata List <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Is there a kind of stochasticity in the execution of xthtaylor?
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:23:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Partha,
Not to be excluded the possibility that it's only near-perfect
collinearity. But how would that explain why xthtaylor would give
different results in repeated results of the same command? The extent of
collinearity would explain why we see some particular result, but not why
we see varying results, no?
Hewan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------From   Partha Deb <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is there a kind of stochasticity in the execution of xthtaylor?
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:56:30 -0400

My quick peek into the ado file for xthtaylor shows that it does check for collinearity. Is it possible that yours is not perfect (but near perfect)?

Partha

Hewan Belay wrote:

Dear Partha,

Yes, it clearly has something to do with the presence of collinearity. But it is strange that Stata (at least for xthtaylor) stochastically chooses which collinear variable to drop (and doesn't "silently" drop it as in other cases of perfect collinearity, but in my demonstration regressions "sets" one of the collinear variables' coefficients to zero, and on another run does same but with another of the collinear variable's coefficient). Wonder if this is due to some mild bug in the xthtaylor programme... In any case, dropping one of the collinear time dummies myself, prior to running the command, takes care of the proximate problem (though leaves above question open).

Thanks much,
Hewan