Re: st: Stata and biology/biomedical sciences

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata and biology/biomedical sciences
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:03:32 +0300

There is also the observation that the actual volume of research in medicine and related sciences is vast in comparison with research in many other areas, and the reliance of modern medicine on statistically- based data analysis is almost total.

For this reason alone, I would guess that the large number of biostats people may reflect the fact that biostats is probably the largest continent in the statistics world, certainly in terms of demand for data analysis.

That said, however, we adopted Stata without hesitation for our Health Service Research PhD programme because it was the only package that did everything everyone wanted the students to learn.

However, as jverkuilen remarked, it's amazing the tribal loyalty of psychologists to SPSS - and their insistence that it's a really easy package, despite the fact that they spend ages transferring their results by hand to Excel to make awful bar charts. Or is this latter habit peculiarly Irish?

Ronan Conroy
=================================

[email protected]
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronanconroy/sets/72157601895416740/

P Before printing, think about the environment

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/