Re: st: RE: RE: -impute- variable creates only type 'float'

From   Richard Williams <>
To, Stata List <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: -impute- variable creates only type 'float'
Date   Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:48:56 -0500

At 08:25 PM 7/15/2008, Hewan Belay wrote:
Dear Richard,

- making the impute.ado adjustment as you suggested sounded like a logical step. I did it, but it would refuse to recognise my newly created impute2.ado for some reason, though I saved it in the same folder as where impute.ado was located. By the way, looking at the ado file, I now see why -set type double, permanently- doesn't do the trick... because the ado file asks for new vars to be created as float, and the -set- just gives guidelines for new vars for which the type is not explicitly specified.
Seems to work for me. I copied impute.ado and called it impute2.ado, and placed it on c:\personal\ado (although anywhere in Stata's path should work). I then changed the 2nd line to

program impute2, sortpreserve

Finally, I replaced the two occurrences of "float" with "double". Then I ran the following:

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. impute2 rep78 price mpg headroom, gen(xrep78)
6.76% (5) observations imputed

. des xrep78

storage display value
variable name type format label variable label
xrep78 double %10.0g imputed rep78

Make sure you did all of the above, and make sure Stata is finding impute2. Use the which command to check, e.g.

. which impute2
*! version 3.1.4 17jan2005

If somebody wanted to spend more time on this, I imagine they could check the type of the DV and, if it was double, set the type for the new variable accordingly. But, as Maarten says, it would be evil. :)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: