st: RE: RE: -forval- with -inequal7-

From   philippe van kerm <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: -forval- with -inequal7-
Date   Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:43:41 +0200

Lola,

-inequal7- exits with an error message when run on a (sub-)sample of 0 observations. Some commands do work in this case (e.g. summarize), others don't (e.g. regress).

A simple workaround here is to -capture- the output of -inequal7-

g gini=.
qui forval i = 19901/20071 {
  capture inequal7 income [fw=wei] if date==`i', returns
  replace gini=r(gini) if date==`i'
}

But it would probably be cleaner to loop only over valid 'dates'. See the FAQ suggested by Nick Cox: http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/foreach.html

Philippe