RE: st: RE: Creating a Non-Self Mean (Score)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Creating a Non-Self Mean (Score)
Date   Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:34:05 +0100

You refer to the count option.

There is a -count- command and a -count()- function for -egen-.

I guess you mean the -count- command. As you say, it is not suitable for
this purpose. But the -count()- function for -egen- is.

In your example, the variable name -SumOthers- might confuse. I'll
rename it:

Obs   Strata  Response  MeanOthers

1      1        3            2
2      1        1
3      1        2
4      2        1
5      2        3
6      1        3

You want

egen Sum = total(Response), by(Strata)
replace Sum = Sum - Response
egen Count = count(Response), by(Strata)
gen MeanOthers = Sum / (Count - 1)

Another way to do it, which is explained in the FAQ cited, is

egen Count = total(Response < .), by(Strata)

For future publications note the tricky singular and plural, from Latin:
one stratum, two or more strata.

Chao Yawo

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was able to create (Sum of Others - This
Value), as suggested, hence I have the numerator for creating the Mean
of Others.  However, I am running into a bit of a problem creating the
denominator.

Here is what my data looks like at the moment:

Obs   Strata  SumOthers  MeanOthers

1      1        3            2
2      1        1
3      1        2
4      2        1
5      2        3
6      1        3

The Mean for observation 1 = ([3+1+2+3]-3 / 4 - 1) = 2.

That is, to the get the mean of others, I have to divide the "Sum of
Others - This Value"  by a denominator that counts the "number of
observations within each strata - 1". I looked at the Count option,
however, I realized that it saves it output as a scalar, hence I am
unable to get the denominator required.

> > From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>

> > This is a FAQ. See
> >
> > FAQ     . . Creating variables recording prop. of the
> other
> > members of a
> > group
> >         4/05    How do I create variables summarizing
> for
> > each
> >                 individual properties of the other
> members
> > of a
> >                 group?
> >
> > http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html
> >
> > The key principle for sums is elementary
> >
> > Sum of others = Sum of all - This value
> >
> > And for means correspondingly
> >
> > Mean of others = (Sum of all - This value) / (Number
> in
> > group - 1)
> >
> > Other summary measures are more challenging, but the
> > gives advice.
> >
> > The only obvious complication is that you want to sum
> > across variables
> > before you summarize across the other members of this
> > group. That will
> > often be easiest through -egen, rowtotal()-.

Chao Yawo