RE: st: R: memory problem when using odbe to read in large dataset

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: R: memory problem when using odbe to read in large dataset
Date   Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:23:47 +0100

Maybe you could try loading only the variables you need in the analysis. -odbc- allows you to choose colums.

That would reduce the required memory size. Unless you need all 200 variables.

Cheers
Manos

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of natalie chan [[email protected]]
Sent: 13 July 2008 14:41
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: R: memory problem when using odbe to read in large dataset

I have also tried to read in the dataset separately using "in":

odbc load in 1/60000, table ("firms")
odbc load in 60001/120000, table ("firms")
..

The first command works, I successfully read in the first 60000
observations but the second and other commands did not work, that is,
the Stata only read in the row of the variable names but no
observation was read in.

Have anyone met similar problem before?

Many thanks