st: RE: correlation in multiple imputation dataset

From   Maarten buis <>
To   stata list <>
Subject   st: RE: correlation in multiple imputation dataset
Date   Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:41:15 +0100 (BST)

-- Ed Al-Hussainy wrote to me privately
> I hope you can help me with a small problem. I have a dataset
> constructed by multiple imputation and I'm using the -mim- module in
> Stata to conduct my regression analysis. however, I can't seem to
> figure out how to calculate a simple correlation matrix for my
> variables using -mim-.
> Is there come way to use mim: pwcorr X1 X2..?

First of all, regarding private request for help see point 5 in the
Statalist FAQ

One thing you can do is use the fact that the regression coefficient in
a bivariate regression is the correlation if you standardize both the
dependent and independent variable. In the example below I used Ben
Jann's -center- command for the standardization, which you can download
it by typing -ssc install center-.

*--------------- begin example -------------------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
tempfile imp
gen black = race == 2
ice wage union hours tenure ttl_exp black married never_married, ///
saving(`imp') m(5)
use `imp', clear
bys _mj: center wage hours, prefix(z) standardize
mim : reg zwage zhours
*----------------- end example --------------------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081