Re: st: bootstrapping

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: bootstrapping
Date   Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:43:22 +0100 (BST)

--- Vincenzo Carrieri <> wrote:
> but expand command just duplicate each observation. It does not
> randomly replicate my sample.
> Do you think that "expand" is enough to do a bit of inference on my
> proportion?

The whole point of my answer is that I advised that you should first
used the conventional methods (which use the fact that a proportion is
nothing other than a mean) before resorting to resampling methods.
-expand- does nothing other than make your data useable for
-proportion-. It is -proportion- that computes the standard errors and
confidence intervals. Alternatively, you should get exactly the same
results if you type:

proportion esenti [fw=nnoti]

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis