RE: st: How do I test that two subsample have different coefficient of variation?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How do I test that two subsample have different coefficient of variation?
Date   Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:36:16 +0100

Science magazine carried a piece recently on how miles per gallon
misleads, while gallons per mile is a more natural scale.

I've seen this picked up in many forums as a kind of discovery or
breakthrough, which does makes me wonder.

<http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2008/0620fuel_efficiency.shtml>

The original article will also be accessible to many readers.

The point does also often arise with analyses of the auto data....

Verkuilen, Jay

Many seemingly ratio scale variables are actually log-interval, e.g.,
gas mileage, which can be equally well represented as miles per gallon
or gallons per mile.