Re: st: do group identifiers identify the same groups?

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: do group identifiers identify the same groups?
Date   Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:37:30 +0200

Jeph wrote:
Seems this should be easy, but the only solutions I
can think of are tedious.
I have two group identifiers in my data of 108k
observations. I would like to verify that that
they identify the same groups - there are about
800 groups, which rules out the simple inspection
- and CÚlio gave good advice involving -assert-.
I have the problem with -assert- that it is not very
assertive; it remains silent if things are OK. That is
often good, but here I prefer a positive confirmation.
I would:
    . generate samegroup = (g1==g2)
    . tab1 samegroup
    -> tabulation of samegroup
      samegroup |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
              1 |    108,000      100.00      100.00
          Total |    108,000      100.00
This will work both with numeric and string group ids.
Hope this helps

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark