Re: st: using robust standard errors in sqreg

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: using robust standard errors in sqreg
Date   Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:14:16 +0100 (BST)

--- Sachin Chintawar <> wrote:
> I have a question regarding the sqreg procedure.- since 'robust' is
> not allowed in the sqreg command is there any other way we could
> estimate robust standard errors. I would greatly appreciate your help
> in this regard

-sqreg- uses the bootstrap to compute the variance covariance matrix
and is thus already robust in a similar way as is implied in the
-robust- option. What robust in the -robust- option actually means is
quite subtle, and you can read more about it in section 20.15 in the
User's Guide. For a critical review of this idea see (Freeman 2006).
For the bootstrap I like (Efron and Tibshirani 1993).

Hope this helps,

Efron, B and R.J. Tibshirani (1993), An Introduction to the Bootstrap,
Chapman & Hall/CRC.

Freeman, D.A. On the So-Called "Huber Sandwich Estimator" and "Robust
Standard Errors", The American Statistician, 60(4): 299--303.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam