Re: st: Statistics for Impact Assessment ???

From   Paula Lackie <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Statistics for Impact Assessment ???
Date   Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:14:44 -0500 (CDT)

You might find help by searching the American Evaluation Association Discussion List "evaltalk"  archives.  This list fairly routinely discusses assessments of this type.

<http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=evaltalk&X=->

cheers,
Paula

Paula Lackie - Carleton College - Northfield, MN USA
Academic Technologist
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/at/

[email protected] | 507.222.5607 | http://go.carleton.edu/e6

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Magill" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:08:39 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: st: Statistics for Impact Assessment ???

We are conducting an impact assessment of a development project is South Asia. The study covers several economic sectors, and for each there is a control group and a test group. We want to know if the changes over time are significantly different for the test and control groups. We have administered a questionnaire at the beginning of the study, and are now going back in to administer a follow-up survey two years later. There are only two points in time -- that of the original survey and that of the followup survey.
Some of the data are clear values (income in time 1 versus income time 2), where we want to know which of the two groups (control or test) has changed the most. Others are various forms of scales -- such as 1=Very good, 2=Good,3=Neither Good nor Bad, 4=Bad, 5 = Very Bad.-- where we want to see if perceptions have changed over time and which group has changed the most.
I know that I can do this through a rather cumbersome process involving comparisons of group means, but I'm wondering if there are routines in Stat that are specifically designed to do this. It would seem to be a study of panel data, but in reading the manual I'm not certain that that is correct.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
John