Re: st: curious behavior of drop

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: curious behavior of drop
Date   Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:44:39 -0700

Thank you for your concern Svend. I had leapt to the assumption that my problem was with _drop_. With some embarassment, I can now report that I had earlier renamed the "missing" age variable to dxage...
My apologies.

Michael McCulloch wrote:

I have a dataset that includes two variables:
age
agecat

I'm puzzled as to why
. drop age
will drop both! Should it behave this way?

I can not reproduce your finding which certainly is disturbing.
I did:

. clear
. set varabbrev on
. set obs 1
. gen age=1
. gen agecat=1
. list , clean

age agecat 1. 1 1
. drop age
. list , clean

agecat 1. 1
So, even if -varabbrev- is on, -drop age- did not drop -agecat-.

Stata/SE 10 for Windows, updated 27 May /25 June.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark