Re: st: Running 32 Bit Stata IC 10 on 64 Bit Stata

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Running 32 Bit Stata IC 10 on 64 Bit Stata
Date   Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:22:06 -0400

I just noticed this message when searching the Statalist archive for related information. The speculation at the end of the message below is false: the current 32-bit version of Stata will run properly and without issue on a 64-bit version of Mac OS X (namely, Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"). Previous messages from Stata personnel on this list have specifically indicated so, had Sergiy bothered to check:

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00905.html>
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00916.html>

S. Joseph Kim ([email protected]) did not specify his OS, which would be useful for clarifying this question. (The fact that he is using a Microsoft Hotmail account would raise my priors that he is using one of the numerous flavors of Windows, however.) I also suspect, although he did not say so, that he "had to purchase" a 64- bit version of Stata because his particular application involved reading a dataset larger than 2 GB into memory. Perhaps he could clarify.

It also might be useful for a representative from Stata to post a response to Statalist that clarifies specifically which, if any, 64- bit OS versions require 64-bit Stata -- that is, which, if any, are not capable of running 32-bit Stata. Users' responses seem to be based on varying degrees of (mis)information.

-- Mike