st: RE: Cox model with shared frailty

From   Dimitris Pavlopoulos <[email protected]>
To   Garry Anderson <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Cox model with shared frailty
Date   Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:54:51 +0200

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using STATA 10 MP

Dimitris

Quoting Garry Anderson <[email protected]>:

HI,

What version of Stata are you using?

Cheers, Garry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dimitris
Pavlopoulos
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 5:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Cox model with shared frailty

Dear Statalisters,

I would like to ask for your help in running a cox model with shared
frailty on unemployment duration. I have organized my data in a spell
file with in total 7,401 spells. I tried a very simple version of the
model:

xi: stcox i.variable, shared(pid)

where pid is the person identification number and 'variable' has 4
categories.

The model has been running for the last 16 hours.

Some time ago, there were discussions in the statalist about it (see,
for example,
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-01/msg00728.html). I
understand from these discussions that the cox model with frailty runs
extremely slow due to the exact calculation of the partial likelihood
from STATA. As these questions were posted a few years ago, my question
is whether there has been developed a way to speed up the process. Or
would the only way be to drop the cox model and try a parametric one?

Thank you in advance.

best,
Dimitris Pavlopoulos

dr. Dimitris Pavlopoulos

International Master in Social Policy Analysis (IMPALLA)
University of Leuven
OE CeSO, room 02.27
Parkstraat 45 - bus 3601
3000 Leuven