st: RE: recording date and year

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: recording date and year
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:58:40 +0100

1952 was a good year to be born!

Depends what you want to do with the data. If you want to estimate age
from these dates all I can suggest is imputing 15 as day if you know the
month but not the day, and 1 July if you know the year but no more. If
you were hyper-cautious you would indicate in the data which dates were

Yun Liu

I have a question about recording date and year. I am dealing with a
"date of birth" variable stored in an excel file. In some cases, it's
a year. In some cases, it's month and year. In other cases, it's date
and year. For examples,

What would be the best way to record this variable in stata? Thank you!