Re: st: data management issue (names listed differently)

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: data management issue (names listed differently)
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:33:25 +0100

Rufus,

say your spelling list is called list.dta, and your data are called
football.dta. list.dta has variables school and correctspelling.
football.dta has variable school , which has been cleaned up but
contains a mix of wrong and correct spellings, and others.

If you do a -merge- on school, it will yield missings in
correctspelling for all cases where there is no wrong spelling (i.e.
school has the correct spelling already). Then you just -replace
correctspelling = school if correctspelling == ""-, and you end up
with the desired result, I think (at least if the list is complete).

Eva