RE: R: st: RE: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: R: st: RE: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:16:15 +0100

The supposition seems to be that

1. Some people are reluctant to do the work needed to find out for
themselves because that entails using two pieces of software, namely
Stata and a browser to search the Statalist archives.

2. So, let Stata add the functionality of searching the Statalist
archives. Then you can do it all in Stata.

I am not against adding functionality to Stata but I don't buy this one.
I think we have a fairly mundane human problem, i.e. some people are too
lazy or (more politely) too busy to follow all the advice given to them.
Often people would search if only they knew the right keywords, but they
don't, which is why they are asking people. Otherwise
I think there are fairly mundane human solutions to this, namely

(a) promoting a friendly but not fickle atmosphere on the list,
including (as Eva Poen memorably put it a recent thread) saying
occasionally "Come on, you can figure that one out by yourself".

(b) reaching for Delete whenever it is what people seem to deserve. So,
for example, some people go on fishing expeditions to see what they can
they pick up from Statalist, and that's not outrageous, but many of us
can quite reasonably decide that it's a waste of our time to give them
much support.