R: st: RE: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: RE: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:16:26 +0200

Dear Emanuele,
following Martin'reply and Maarten's advice on performing bootstrap:
-the number of replications may vary according what you are intended to
check for (plase, see Efron B, Tibshirani RJ. An Introduction to the
Bootstrap. Chapman and Hall: New York, 1993);
- for instance, as far as the comparison of the mean of costs in health care
programmes evaluation is concerned, the number of bootstrap replications
vary between 1000 and (more often) 10,000. For confidence interval and
regression coefficients the number is usually lower (again, please see the
abovementioned reference).

If you make up your mind to perform a bootstrap test on your original data
set, another decision to be taken is what kind of bootstrap: parametric or
non parametric? I would recommend the non parametric bootstrap, since it is
teheoretically closer to the core mininig ot this procedure (ie no
assumptions about the distribution from which the original sample has been
drawn) and requires less computational effort. Usually, parametric and non
parametric bootstrap tests give back similar results.

HTH and Kind Regards,

Carlo