st: RE: inputst

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: inputst
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:01:25 +0100

The inputst command is part of the stcmd package, and talks to
Stat/Transfer. Anything that you can do using Stat/Transfer, you should
be able to do using inputst (or stcmd), using either switches on the
command line or a Stat/Transfer .stc command file. For details, see the
on-line help under

whelp stcmd

or the documentation for your local Stat/Transfer.

The .pdf documentation for my local Stat/Transfer (which tells me that
it is the very latest semi-version of Stat/Transfer Version 9) says a
few things on Page 59 about ASCII file read options. However, there is
no mention of the possibility of storing the names of variables in
unorthodox rows and columns in an ASCII delimited dataset, as Liss seems
to be doing. I think Liss may have to write a program converting these
unorthodox ASCII input files to a more orthodox format. The intext
package (downloadable from SSC) may or may not be useful in doing this,
if Liss does not want to use the Stata file utility, PEERL, Python etc.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson