AW: st: table of deviance after multiple regression!

From   "Heckendorn Felix" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: table of deviance after multiple regression!
Date   Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:52:41 +0200

The problem in fact might appear simple. I have an experiment with 3 different treatments (one of which is the control treatment). The response variable follows a negative binomial distribution.
The experiment was conducted at 6 different sites which gives us 6 replicates (n=6).
What I ultimately want to know is:
1. how much better is my treatment 1 and 2 when compared to the control.
2. is there a significant influence of the experimental sites.

I recoded my treatments and have set the control treatment to 0. My model then consists of my response and two explanatories (i) treatment and (ii) experimental site. With the gnbreg command I get coefficients for the 2 treatments and for 5 experimental sites (one site omitted). If I want to know whether experimental site as such is an important variable for the model, I need to check the model with and without the variable 'experimental sit'. Apparently the residual deviance D allows an answer to that question. How to do?
Cheers, felix

Felix Heckendorn, Dr. Sci. ETHZ
Forschungsinstitut f�r Biologischen Landbau (FiBL)
FG Veterin�rparasitologie
Ackerstrasse
CH - 5070 Frick
www.fibl.org