RE: st: RE: RE: labels on bar graphs

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: labels on bar graphs
Date   Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:12:26 +0100

A percent format (with notional syntax) might look something like this:

With format %2.0p     .15   would display as 15
            %3.1p     .154                   15.4
            %2.0ps    .15                    15%
		%2.0pbs   .15                    15 %
            %3,1pbs   .151                   15,1 %

So that p signals percent, s an explicit sign and b an explicit blank
before the sign.

I believe that this would solve Rich's problem completely. I don't
understand Frank's comments to the contrary.

Of course, that is all a "would". Only StataCorp can do that, or
something similar.

Meanwhile, I intend to update -mylabels- on SSC to allow user-specified
prefix and suffix text. That is one thing that can be done as a step in
the same direction.

Incidentally, I also disagree with Frank, very mildly, on the broadening
of this thread. Martin's comments seemed to me a fair expression of a
defensible point of view that was entirely consistent with Rich's
original question.

Richard Goldstein

I think that if Stata had an automatic way to turn proportions (mean of
a 0/1 variable) to percents, with the percent sign (as an option I
guess), that would have completely solved my problem

Since my client is insisting on the presence of the % sign, the simple
solution (multiply by 100) sent by Amanda does not work for me

Martin Weiss

> Well, obviously I hit a sore spot with my "straw man", given that it
> attracted a few replies... Maybe I should have turned that into a new
thread
> though, to keep Rich`s other concerns alive. Sorry for that.

Frank de Libero

> Rich originally asked for help not only to display "%" but much more.
That's
> how I read his message (below). Then Martin (see below Rich's message)
> introduces what seems to be a straw man:
>
> [Why should users be forced] go to such lengths for a mundane task
like
> labeling with percentages...
>
> And the thread then went adrift given the general frustration
(including
> mine) about not having an enhanced -format- that includes "%". But as
I read
> Rich's original post, he was asking for a method that helped automate
the
> placement and value of the label, and then attaching a "%". The
"clever
> solutions" were not so much about displaying a "%" as they were about
where
> to display it and automatically display the value. A simple change in
the
> -format- command or equivalent would not solve all that. I think the
> subsequent aspersions on Stata are unfair and stray from the original
> question.

Martin Weiss

> All these clever solutions have a funny tendency to remind me of one
thing:
> a software that takes prides in its graph capabilities should not
force
> users to go to such lengths for a mundane task like labeling with
> percentages...

Richard Goldstein