Re: st: Stata on Mac or PC

From   Glenn Hoetker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata on Mac or PC
Date   Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:10:27 -0500

I would probably make this decision based on your preferences for the OS overall, because Stata is pretty much indistinguishable across the platforms. I've run Stata 10 under Windows, Linux (X-windows), and now run Stata MP/2 on a MacBook Pro. It is very fast and acts very "Mac-like", so it is a very smooth process. Taking advantage of some of Mac's under-pinnings, I have built some little tweaks that allow me to, for example, open fully formatted regression tables in Word without any additional user input. Convenient when viewing multiple regressions. I'm sure one can do exactly the same under other systems.

I prefer Macs and love using Stata in that environment. Of course, OS choices are very person-specific.

Good luck.

G.

Glenn Hoetker
Associate Professor (Business, Law, Institute for Genomic Biology)
Director, Initiative on Science and Technology in the Pacific Century
Faculty Fellow, Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership
University of Illinois
217-265-4081
[email protected]
Personal website: www.business.uiuc.edu/ghoetker