RE: st: Sequential correlated probits

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Sequential correlated probits
Date   Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:35:09 -0400

Quoting "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:06:03 -0400
From: John-Paul Ferguson <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Sequential correlated probits

Hello,

Twice in the last year I have found myself modeling
three-stage processes where
there was some risk of endogeneity between the outcomes of
the stages. An
example from American labor markets:

1. A labor union files an election petition. It can choose to
withdraw the
petition or go to election.

2. The union can lose the election or win.

3. The union can fail or succeed to negotiate a contract with
the employer.

Observations are lost at each stage because failures at
earlier stages do not
proceed to later ones. At the same time, there is some risk
of endogeneity. In
particular, unions may choose to withdraw their election
petitions when they
think they are going to lose the election.

Because there is such endogeneity, a simple sequential logit
or probit will
yield biased estimates. A model that allows for correlation
would be better.
Several pieces of research, including Lillard and Willis
(1994), Upchurch et
al. (2002) and Waelbroeck (2005) have developed and
implemented such models. In
all of these cases, the authors have either used aML or
programs they rolled
themselves.

My understanding is that aML is popular for such multi-level and/or
multi-process models; that is after all what it was designed
for. I myself used
aML to model the process described above. Yet I use Stata for
the rest of my
statistical work, and while I haven't paid much attention I
know that versions
9 and 10 have brought considerable advances in, for example,
hierarchical
linear models.

So my question: to your knowledge, has something like a
correlated sequential
probit model been implemented in the more recent versions of
Stata? Has it been
there for a while and I just missed it? I always suspect
there are options deep
within -ml- that I haven't explored enough...

Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

Best,
John-Paul Ferguson
Massachusetts Institute of Technology