Re: st: Matching in STATA

From   "Salah Mahmud" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Matching in STATA
Date   Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:48:57 -0500

For completeness, also see    [ST] sttocc -- Convert survival-time
data to case-control data

sttocc automates the process of sampling matched controls. It is
intended to generate nested case-control data from a cohort data but
it should not be difficult to "fool" it into sampling from a
cross-sectional data.

You still need to create the grouped age variable as per above posts.

In my experience, you will require several rounds of matching with
increasingly permissive age grouping to find matches to all your cases
unless you have lots of data and only 1 or 2 matching variables. This
could be implemented within a for loop where each successive loop
drops and then creates an age grouping variable that is slightly
cruder than its predecessor.

For instance,
round                    age group variable
1                           agegroup = age  ("exact" matching)
2                           agegroup = age collapsed into 2 yrs intervals
3                           agegroup = age collapsed into 3 yrs
intervals and so,

Of course, you will need to exclude any matched cases (and perhaps
controls) before merging the ummatched cases to the remaining
controls.