RE: st: different result everytime - something strange

From   "Shehzad Ali" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: different result everytime - something strange
Date   Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:43:19 +0100

You are a genius, Maarten! This solves the problem.

Thank you,

Shehzad

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten buis
Sent: 19 June 2008 18:24
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: different result everytime - something strange

-glcurve- sorts y. How should Stata decide which row should come first
if two rows have the same value on y? By default it does that
(pseudo-)randomly, which is reasonalble, but I think this is what is
causing you to get different results each time you call that do-file.
If that is the problem, than it should be solved when you replace the
first line with:

sort y, stable
gen sortorder _n
glcurve y [aw=weight], pvar(rank) replace nograph sortvar(sortorder)

-- Maarten

--- Shehzad Ali <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi listers,
>
> I have encountered a funny problem, which maybe due to something
> wrong with
> my codes or with stata. I am trying to calculate concentration index
> using
> convenient regression method but everytime I run my do file, I get
> different results using exactly the same data. I am sure someone can
> help.
>
> Here is what I am doing:
>
> glcurve y [aw=weight], pvar(rank) replace nograph
> qui sum x [fw=weight]
> scalar mean=r(mean)
> qui sum rank [fw=weight]
> sca var_rank=r(Var)
> gen lhs=2*var_rank*(x/mean)
> regr lhs rank [pw=weight], cluster(commune)
> sca CI=_b[rank]
> display "concentration index", CI
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Shehzad