RE: st: error bars

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: error bars
Date   Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:03:09 +0100 (BST)

--- "Newson, Roger B" <> wrote:
> However, moleps probably should not produce these, as the reader
> usually also wants to know the lower limit as well as the upper

I agree with Roger, these error bars are intended to represent the
degree of uncertainty. By only representing half the confidence
interval you visually suggest you are twice as certain then you
actually are. That seems like very bad practice to me.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081