st: RE: Why is the -plot()- option now the -addplot()- option?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Why is the -plot()- option now the -addplot()- option?
Date   Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:23:20 +0100

I can't recollect any discussion of this but the point seems clear-cut:
-plot()- was just not transparent enough as a name. -addplot()- is
thought to be more self-explanatory.

I can't speak for StataCorp on stability, but everything is stable until
it is changed! However, under version control -plot()- should continue
to work indefinitely and my surmise is that StataCorp would be too
embarrassed to change the name again, at least for a while.

In various programs of my own that will work under Stata 8 up I support
both -plot()- and -addplot()-, which is essential to Stata 8 users.
-stripplot- on SSC is one example among several.

Newson, Roger B

A minor query re Stata 9 and 10 graphics. Is there any special reason
why the -plot()- option of Stata 8 was renamed to the -addplot()- option
in Stata 9? And is the name now stable? (It seems to have persisted in
Stata 10.) I ask because I am planning the Stata 10 version of the SSC
package -eclplot-, which currently is Stata 9, and has a -plot()- option
inherited from Stata 8, which I would like to harmonize with the rest of
Stata.