Re: st: Interpretation of -mfx-

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of -mfx-
Date   Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:57:05 +0100 (BST)

--- Herve STOLOWY <[email protected]> wrote:
> if you want to present some of the elements of the output in a
> paper, which ones would you chose? dy/dx? Std. Err? z? p(z)? CI? X?

In addition of my previous answer: The X has a separate meaning and you
will need to report it somewhere. The marginal effects are slopes, and
in non-linear models like -logit- the slopes change depending on at
which point of X you look. A common choice, and the default of -mfx-,
is to look at average values of X, you can choose other values, which
is particularly useful when some of your values are dummies. You can
say in your text or in a footnote under your table that these marginal
effects are evaluated at average values of the explanatory variables
(except any exceptions you have made). If you made many exceptions you
may want to add an extra column like in the output of -mfx-.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081