Re: st: estimating expenditure quartiles for subgroups of survey dat

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: estimating expenditure quartiles for subgroups of survey dat
Date   Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:36:39 -0400

--

Dan, this sounds like a useful approach, especially if there are additional covariates. Your analysis plan has changed

From:
1. Display and compare quantiles of your subgroups.

1. Find the best fitting gamma model for each subgroup.
2. Assess how well the models fit.
3. If the models fit, compare the parameters of the best fitting models from each subgroup.
4. If the parameters differ, describe how the fitted distributions differ (e.g. with density plots).

To assess the gamma fits, you can use -qgamma- and -pgamma-, downloadable from SSC. Also, -streg- will fit a generalized (3 parameter) gamma, and this can be used as an additional check. If the gamma model fits poorly in one or more of the subgroups, you can always go back to your original plan.

-Steve