st: RE: RE: can I compare correlations with t-tests (Bonferroni)?

From   "Verkuilen, Jay" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: can I compare correlations with t-tests (Bonferroni)?
Date   Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:05:32 -0400

>>Tests of correlations are notoriously sensitive to the normality
assumption.  So any solutions may be subject to that problem.  One
approach might be to use the Fisher z transformation for the
correlations and then test to see if each is 0 or not.  I'd be cautious
about any p-value citations. To compare correlation A1 with A10 you
would use z(A1)-z(A10) and go from there.<<

Yes, be wary.

Fisher Z helps as differences are much more linear on the Fisher Z

You may also want to set the problem up as an SEM and use SEM software,
e.g., the free MX by Mike Neale. If your sample
size is large, you could use AWLS.

Bootstrapping is another possibility.