Re: st: graph export does not seem to save very large images?

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph export does not seem to save very large images?
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:39:32 -0400

Hello Victor,

last year I've asked Stata tech support regarding this issue. Here is
the answer from Mr. James Hassell (Stata Corp):

"This limitation is the result of a Windows API call that refuses to
create a bitmap. It appears to be some sort of limit related to the
amount of memory that windows is willing to allocate when asked to
do this, but the limit is not documented. Using 64bit Windows we were
able to export a png file with a width of 16000."

I don't know if this was completely resolved since then (i.e. does it
affect Stata 10 too ?), but if your hardware allows that, switching to
64-bit Stata may solve your problem (as well as eliminate memory
limits of the 32-bit Stata).

For myself I wish this limit was somehow accessible to a Stata
programmer, so that I could get c(max_graph_width) into a local and
then call graph export with that value.