RE: st: predictions from ML program

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: predictions from ML program
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:26:37 +0100 (BST)

--- marcel spijkerman <> wrote:
> Predict is indeed useful but what I need is the contribution to the
> likelihood for each of the four terms in the likelihood (in:
> ln(p1*L1 + p2*L2 + p3*L3 + (1-p1-p2-p3)*L4)
> The model is a bivariate survival model with discrete heterogeneity
> distribution; and the terms in the likelihood are contributions for
> each person of the two duration processes. Can I obtain the separate
> contributions L1, L2, L3 and L4 by using predict or other
> postestimation commands?

These elements will be different equations in your likelihood, so you
can access them separately using -predict- with the -eq()- option.

The Stata -ml- facilities are great, and make your live as a programmer
a lot easier, except when you are comming from another language. In
that case there are a lot of peculiarities you'll have to learn and
unlearn before you can really make the best use of these facilities. A
great place to start is: .

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam