Re: st: RE: Your opinion on income groups and inflation

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Your opinion on income groups and inflation
Date   Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:42:13 -0400

On income groups (intervals), I would not use dummies because you have
information about income _levels_  which would be otherwise lost. An income
interval of 300 to 400, is not the same thing as an income interval of 1200 to
3600. Since you do not have information about distribution of income within
intervals, nor apparently about the means, I would use the average of the
interval as my income variable. (Assumes, of course, a uniform distribution
within the interval. If you want to be "fancier", you may want to use something
like the 65th percentile of each interval on the assumption that the
distribution is lognormal within each interval, and thus the mean is to the
right of the median; empirical income distributions have a mean which normally
lies btw. the low 60s and low 70s percentiles).

On trust, you may want to use dummies--on the assumption that moving from trust
level 1 to 2 is not the sane thing than moving from trust level 8 to 9 etc. But,
on the other hand, keeping an ordered categorical variable makes it easier to
interpret the results, and is easier on the reader who does not need to be
presented with ten variables.

Best, Branko

Development Research, World Bank
Email: [email protected] or branko_mi@yahoo.
tel: 202-473-6968
World Bank, Room MC 3-559
1818 H Street NW
Washington D.C. 20433

For "Worlds Apart" see
http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/titles/7946.html

Website:
http://econ.worldbank.org/projects/inequality

For papers see also:
http://econpapers.hhs.se/
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=149002

             Andrea Bennett
             <[email protected]
             m>                                                              To
             Sent by:                    [email protected]
             owner-statalist@hsp                                             cc
             hsun2.harvard.edu
                                                                        Subject
                                         Re: st: RE: Your opinion on income
             06/07/2008 02:01 PM         groups and inflation

              Please respond to
             statalist@hsphsun2.
                 harvard.edu

Thank you both for you suggestions! So, I will use NO dummies for
income since there is no/I have no theoretical expectation that the
effects should be different within each specific level of income,
rather I do expect one direction of the effect of income on y, only. I
might test for an interaction dummy with the highest income class,
though. In the case of the "trust" variable I will NOT use dummies,
too (for the above reason).

Many thanks for you little helper!