Re: st: RE: Your opinion on income groups and inflation

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Your opinion on income groups and inflation
Date   Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

Making ordered categories dummy variables vs. making them one ordered variable by assigning values are both okay. The dummy variable approach is most flexible, allowing the effect to be different across categories. But, if you have no theoretical expectation for that, nor any reason to believe those particular categorical lines match the lines you'd draw if you could, then I agree with Martin below.

Sam