st: large elasticities in the latent class model

From   "Simona Rasciute" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: large elasticities in the latent class model
Date   Fri, 30 May 2008 19:45:05 +0100

Hello,

I would appreciate your comments on the following issue. When I estimate the latent class model with three classes or more, the elasticities (both mean and standard deviation) are extremely large. However, neither the estimated parameters nor their standard errors are large. Does it mean that the large elasticities reveal the problem that is not revealed by the estimated coefficients are their standard errors? According to the information criteria, 5 latent class should be chosen and everything seems fine until the elasticities are estimated. In order to avoid huge elasticities, I would have to use only two classes, which is not supported by information criteria. How would you tackle this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,
Simona
*