st: RE: RE: I can get no dissertation

From   "Verkuilen, Jay" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: I can get no dissertation
Date   Wed, 28 May 2008 13:49:05 -0400

Nick Cox wrote:

>On behalf of all the advisors, supervisors, etc. who asked me to state
this anonymously: We are not surprised that you have not finished your
dissertations if you are always surfing the net and watching videos....<

Yeah, that's an issue. I spend too much time on the net myself. :/

But as a recent grad and now a mentor of grad students, I can attest
that one of the big things that's happened over the last chunk of time
is the degree to which it's become necessary to seek outside work. My
students are particularly affected by it in part due to the
peculiarities of the school but also due to the expense of the NYC metro
area. Even in less expensive Champaign-Urbana where I was a grad
student, cost of living and stipends (combined with expectations) were
starting to drift off each other.

I have a very talented grad student I need to get weaned off side jobs,
which means, of course, I need to get off my butt and get some money to
pay her to work for me.

Jay